For many organizations, and especially charitable non-profits, today is the last day of the year to give a gift that counts towards this year.
Think of the free apps/programs you use for free. A lot of work went into and still goes into maintaining it. They would definitely free gratitude if you took the time to throw even $1. For real, some of these software developers and volunteers receive no pay except for periodically a donation or they freel relief when they don’t have to worry about paying for the server(s) that the app/program is hosted on.
Some of the ones I would like to give to are:
- Audacity music/audio player and editor; desktop app
- Firefox browser people / volunteers (Mozilla organization)
- Heavens-Above.com website / app
- OneTab desktop browser extension; faster browsing and more self-focus while using any of the popular browsers
- probably a few others that i love
On the charitable side i think it would be cool give through these org’s:
- The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints Philanthropies programs like clean water, wheelchairs, et cetera for sure.
- Kiva who does micro-loans to those currently with smaller economic opportunities to start their own business. One of my bros has helped out a few people through them.
- I’m sure i could find others. Take a moment to think about what software helps you for free OR which organizations inspire you / make you feel good.
P.S. On the officially charitable side please do use CharityNavigator to find ratings. NOTE: not all organizations can afford to be audited by them but those that do have really good info there on the % of money donated that goes to the actual program(s) vs administrative costs, etc.
That’s it. Good wishes for the last day of the year and the new year starting tomorrow. I want to have a moment of quiet and hope. The light is shining I believe.